Windows 10 How do I force my Win10 laptop to use internal LTE card for internet when LAN is connected to a machine with no gateway?

• Thread starter Thread starter tweeter103
  • Start date Start date
T

tweeter103

I have a Dell Latitude 5500 with a DW5820e Intel(R) 7360 LTE-A WWAN card.

This works exactly as it should, I have "Let Windows keep me connected" ticked.

If I am at home, or office, the LTE card remains dormant allowing the LAN, or Wifi if I'm walking around, to provide the internet connection, and all is good.

However, if I am on a job site, I'm connected to the interned via the LTE, all good.

Then I need to connect the LAN to a piece of machinery to upgrade firmware, or to a network of devices that have no gateway, and definitely no possible connection to the world.

When I connect the LAN I get the "no internet access" message which is true, the machine has no other connections.

BUT, the perfectly working LTE connection decides that there is a LAN, and it should use that instead of my 4G data, and I loose connection to the world.

Disconnect the LAN to the machine, and the LTE reconnects to the world.

Totally repeatable, every time, plug in, no world, unplug, reconnects.

Often I still need to get information or additional firmware, from the internet, but have to physically disconnect the LAN.

Very boring.

Sure "Let Windows keep me connected" ticked should do just that, if the LAN has no internet access, then stick with the LTE.

If the world can be up the LAN, then yes, of course use it.

What am I missing?

Cheers

Peter

Continue reading...

Back