Windows 10 How do I remove entries from the "Open with" menu in Windows 10 File Explorer?

• Thread starter Thread starter AndrewLen
  • Start date Start date
A

AndrewLen

When I right-click a graphic in Windows 10 File Explorer, I have a ton of programs in the "Open with" context menu item that I want to get rid of, but no matter what I've tried, there appears to be no way to clear that sections' history of programs.

I have tried many context menu editing utilities (including Nirsoft's) but none of them has helped.

I have also tried editing the registry by removing entries from the relevant .jpg, .jpeg, .png, etc extensions in the "[COLOR=rgba(42, 0, 170, 1)]HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\ OpenWithList\[/COLOR]" folder in the registry with Regedit but it made no difference to the "Open with" section I want to clear the history from when right-clicking any graphics file.

In fact, none of the programs in my pic below existed in that registry folder, apart from the Microsoft ones like Paint.

I have also tried resetting all of Windows 10 settings to default and that didn't help either.

Surely there "must" be an MRU folder somewhere in the registry that holds the entries listed, but no amount of searching for a solution has helped thus far. To illustrate the problem graphically, please see the snapshot provided below. Can someone please assist with how I can achieve what I need to do?

Thank you and will be hoping for some advice and a solution.

Regards, Andrew

Continue reading...

Back