Windows 10 How do I turn my primary Microsoft account from a Child account into an Adult account?

• Thread starter Thread starter Afton LaMere
  • Start date Start date
A

Afton LaMere

Hi,

Several years ago when making an Xbox account for the first time, I had to have my dad create a parent Microsoft account to help manage my profile. The years have passed and I am now a 21 year old adult.

However, my Microsoft account (and therefore Xbox account) does not seem to recognize the fact that I am considered an adult despite my birthday being correct in the account, basically saying it is a child account. I still have my dad's parent Microsoft account as an adult/parental account when I look at My Family on my Microsoft account profile. Since my dad made the account only for my Xbox profile, he has never used it for anything else, and I have full access to his account.

This parent account seems to be causing a few problems for my Microsoft account on my computer, such as an error at the top of the page in Windows Settings > Accounts > Family & Other Users that says, "We couldn't connect to Microsoft Family right now, so your Family on this device might not be up to date." It also shows that my dad's parent account "Can't sign in".

Therefore, my main problem is that I want to remove my current Microsoft account (and Xbox account) from the connection to the parent account and to stop being a child account.

Before anyone suggests an answer or support page for me to look at:

- I have looked online and understand that one way to fix this is by simply changing the birthday date on the child account. This does not seem to fix anything as I am already over the age of 13 and 18.

- I have found that one solution is by removing consent for the child Microsoft account to exist by using the parent account to do this.

I DO NOT WANT TO LOSE/DELETE MY MICROSOFT ACCOUNT IF THAT'S WHAT THAT PROCESS ENTAILS. I just finished waiting 2 months to delete a second Microsoft account and merge it's email to be the primary one for my current Microsoft account, of which was unknown to be a child account at the time. I do not want to have to go through more problems just because of a super duper extra security feature Microsoft seems to have set up for parent and child accounts. I already have at least 4 devices using my 'child' Microsoft account.

- I also understand that removing a parent account from a child account on the Xbox will not allow the child account to change content settings. This means that a new parent account has to be made to help manage that.

Let me know if more information from me is needed. I just want a single adult account.

Continue reading...

Back