Windows 10 How do I use the touch keyboard with Wordpad in Windows 10 20H2 on a tablet with the taskbar auto-hiding?

• Thread starter Thread starter Grangeland
  • Start date Start date
G

Grangeland

I have an 8" tablet running Windows 10 20H2. I normally have the taskbar set to auto-hide to allow the maximum screen area to be usable for an actual application. I edge swipe up to get the taskbar, then tap the touch keyboard icon to bring the keyboard on screen. At that point when using Wordpad the taskbar hides again and the keyboard also disappears. In Notepad when I do the same thing, the taskbar hides, but the keyboard remains on screen.

Some third party Apps work properly, but others lose the keyboard as happens with Wordpad. I have to turn off the auto-hide feature to be able to use Wordpad and certain other Apps with the touch keyboard.

Everything was fine upto and including version 1909, and the problem appeared with the upgrade to version 2004. It persists in 20H2.

I have experimented on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 10 20H2, and both behave in exactly the same way. Fortunately my 64-bit PC is a desktop with a hardware keyboard so I do not have to rely on the vanishing touch screen keyboard.

There appears to be another keyboard - the on-screen keyboard - however, I have to go into settings each time I want to have that displayed.

Are there any current fixes, or will there be any coming soon, to fix this problem with the touch keyboard?

Continue reading...

Back