Windows 10 How do you change apps associated with different actions for a file type in Windows 10?

• Thread starter Thread starter brettski74
  • Start date Start date
B

brettski74

When you right click on a file in Windows Explorer, for many file types, you will see several different actions available. For example, the default action, which is usually "Open", but there may also be other actions available such as "Edit", "Edit with Photos", "Edit with Paint 3D", "Print", "Set as Desktop Background", etc. In previous versions of Windows, it was fairly straightforward to change the apps associated with these other actions or to even create your own custom actions. In Windows 10, I cannot find a way to change this at all. The only thing I seem to be able to change is the default app - ie. the one associated with the default "Open" action, but none of the others.

How do I change the app associated with these other actions? For my immediate problem, I want to change the Edit action, which opens the image in Windows Paint - which is **** - and instead have it open the file in GIMP, which is an excellent open-source image editor.

Brett.

Continue reading...

Back