Windows 10 How many times do I need to rebuild the search index if I want to search my files and get accurate results?

• Thread starter Thread starter ChristinaShonts
  • Start date Start date
C

ChristinaShonts

I am having major issues with searching files on windows 10. Its bringing back nightmares of vista. I understand how file indexing works and how to use it. I also know how to specific directories to the index. But it still doesnt work well. So Ive rebuilt the index...and then it breaks again. And that rebuild process takes quite some time especially when your data gets into the terabytes.

Its a bit infuriating. If you are going to take away my windows 7, could you please make sure the basics are fully functional on windows 10 first. And I consider a fully functional file manager the basics.

I will give you some examples of a failure that I find particularly annoying, starting with a simple example

(1) Search Location : "D:\# Projects\# geneaology - sort", a sub-directory of an indexed location on an eternal drive

Search String: *.*

Expected Results: every file and folder in that directory and its subdirectory

Actual Results: "No items match your search"

(2) I create a new directory, "D:\# Projects\Test-Microsoft-Search" , a sub-directory of an indexed location on an eternal drive

and then I create a new file named "findMe.txt" And then I do a searchSearch Location : "D:\# Projects\Test-Microsoft-Search"

Search String: *.*

Expected Results: findme.txt

So then Im thinking maybe I can find it if i am more specific...

Search String: *.txt

(3) So now Im thinking maybe there is a problem with indexing an external drive so I repeat the process on the internal drive that is also the drive that my Windows 10 OS is installed on. And within mydocuments in my user profile directory.

Search Location: "C:\Users\x\Documents\Test-Microsoft-Search"

But I saw the file right there before I did the search

Here are my questions:

(1) Am I missing something? Is there a fix I dont know about. I dont want to rebuild my search index every week. How do I make the search work reliably

(2) And if it is broken, I would like a message stating that so that I know the search results I have are not reliable. Is there a way to be notified that the search index is broken and my search results arent reliable?

This search indexing takes at least 15% of my computer's resources. Probably more. So how the hell is it so broken? Ive gone back and forth between windows and Linux over the years. Ive been with windows for a while now. Is it time to go back? Or is there a fix for the complete failure of a file manager in windows 10? Im hoping there is a fix. Please tell me there is.

Continue reading...

Back