Windows 7 How to be selective while creating image of main drive, and which software would allow that?

• Thread starter Thread starter mr.live.in
  • Start date Start date
M

mr.live.in

My data files are currently at 70GB. Size will come down to some extent as I am currently engaged in rigidly defining, and restructuring my filing system; also, gradually eliminating duplicates, and archaic files that are no longer needed. These 70GB files are kept in C:\ drive's local folder "OneDrive". Contents of this folder remain in Sync with 115GB storage space in the cloud, of which 45GB is still available.

I keep on a portable drive some system images using Macrium Reflect (free for home use). But physical drives can go bad without a warning. Therefore, I would want to keep the latest image in the cloud, and I wouldn't mind subscribing for additional 100GB should it become necessary. But, at the same time, I would not want to waste cloud storage by duplicating. For instance, data files in the local OneDrive also become part of the system image. This is where 70GB duplication could occur. There would be no point in subscribing for additional storage space on the cloud to house them once again as part of image folder.

Here, I do not have the answer to the following questions:

• How would I create a selective image excluding those data files?
  • Which free or paid software will allow me to do that?

I shall be thankful to anyone who may show me the right way.

(2)

3b2f4601581a62a03248ca816a897629._.jpg

Continuing with the previous question relating to "selective image", another question comes to my mind.

• What is in 100MB System Reserved partition of Disk 1, and when and how the System uses it?
  • While I may want to exclude 70GB data from the System Image, I may still have to include Program Files, Windows files, Boot files, Intel files, and some other system created files (image C:\)
  • There may be hardly anything from User folder to include in System Image, except two with question marks (image User).
  • I do not keep data files in those user folders marked with X, and Dropbox has its own cloud storage, hence I may not need to make that part of the system image.

But the question remains "how to be selective while creating image of main drive, and which software would allow that?

Regards, and thank you for your time spent in reading this detailed write-up.

Continue reading...