Windows 10 How to keep BITS disabled at startup and how to disable Delivery Optimization?

• Thread starter Thread starter Atryeu
  • Start date Start date
A

Atryeu

So, first off I am on a satellite internet with a small bandwidth limit each month. My other computer crashed and all I could get is something with Windows 10 which I absolutely did not want due to the bandwidth limits. I have had this running for about the last week and first thing I did was manually trigger the updates to run and got them all downloaded and installed. All programs are updated and there have been no updates listed for days and yet here is my Glasswire program which I use to monitor bandwidth usage showing something is just downloading away in the background still. The problem process is the svchost and opening Task Manager showed to begin with it was Delivery Optimization that was doing the downloading. This was a surprise as I have that feature OFF, so it shouldn't be downloading at all to begin with but there it was... In the last few days it has wasted over 6GB of my data downloading unknown content. I'm sick of dealing with it so I went into Services and stopped the service but it will not allow me to change Startup to Disabled and tells me "Access Denied" when I try to apply the change. I do NOT want this running and wasting my bandwidth. How do I disable it completely so it won't randomly start up on me again and waste all my bandwidth?

A few hours after I stopped the service though, I come back to see a bunch of spikes on my usage and I find out that BITS jumped right in and took over and had over 1GB downloaded by the time I noticed it. I went in and Stopped the service and set Startup type to Manual. An hour later there it was again enabled again and downloading so I stopped it yet again and set it to Disabled. A few hours later and I find some random MS Office program that came with the computer downloading (and was up to nearly 200mb when I caught it) so I had to uninstall that also to stop it's usage and upon restarting the computer, there was BITS enabled again.

How to I disable BITS and Delivery Optimization so they will not start up with the computer and will not start randomly running? I've seen all the information posted elsewhere about how they download important updates and all that, but I have no updates available on here and it is just wasting my limited bandwidth (what could it be downloading that is over 6GB?). Yes I have it set as "metered" but there it is still downloading and wasting it anyway. I just want them disabled. I will trigger any needed updates manually, I do not want these services downloading in the background. We pay a lot of money for what small amount of bandwidth we are able to get and I don't want MS stealing it. If I could use another OS I would but Win 10 was my only option.

Continue reading...