Windows 10 How to Recover a Raw Drive (no data file recovery needed)

• Thread starter Thread starter Runs_With_Scissors
  • Start date Start date
R

Runs_With_Scissors

Hello,

I've recently been trying to use my old, broken laptop's larger and speedier drive to run Windows 10 on my desktop. After initially connecting the drive to my PC to see what was on there via SATA (E: Drive), I was able to interact with the files on it and run .exe applications without issue.

That being the case, I saw no reason why I shouldn't try to use it as my OS drive. I have since found those reasons. Moving on past my ignorance and negligence...

I ran chkdsk to remedy the corrupted files and bad sectors which remained on the E: drive and after waiting 24+ hours for the needed repairs and making sure I had a clean, formatted and partitioned drive with unallocated space, I attempted installing my Win 10 OS again. This time, I received a second error message. Something like "Windows was unable to install files on this drive", along with an error code. After some troubleshooting, I discovered that the likely solution would be to adjust the SATA settings to HTCI from the BIOS menu. Unfortunately, my PC is ancient and no such option was available without taking a shot in the dark chance that my BIOS could be updated through the PC OEM website to support HTCI .

But, I've come to terms with not having my OS installed on the larger, faster drive, although I still wanted to use it as storage space and if possible, virtual memory (somehow?). I partitioned and formatted the drive again, but to my dismay, after restarting, I discovered my drive (E:) data had become raw. I've search all over the web for instructions on how to make the drive usable again. It is detected in file explorer, but I can't do anything until it's Windows friendly again.

I've found a lot of options with free data recovery software, but that drive's data is long gone and I have no interest in recovering it. I just want to use the drive again as extra space. Is there software made specifically to make the drive accessible again? Or perhaps a more direct way of returning it back into unallocated space? If I must use third party data recovery software, which should I use if all I need is my E drive back and recovering data is not a concern? Thanks for taking the time to read and I would be grateful for any feedback or suggestions!

P.S. I have posted a screenshot from Disk Management below. Hopefully it displays as intended and will be of some use

Continue reading...

Back