Windows 10 I can't create new folders with the context menu or in windows explorer.

• Thread starter Thread starter CountFapula
  • Start date Start date
C

CountFapula

Pretty much what the title says, in the context menu under the 'new' option there is no longer the option to create a new folder.

I'm running windows 10 ver. 10.0.19041 build 19041

I've tried running registry edit, going to Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shellex\ContextMenuHandlers and changing the registry key to
{D969A300-E7FF-11d0-A93B-00A0C90F2719}, this didn't work

I've tried doing this:

Use Command Prompt to create a directory
Several users reported that they managed to fix the problem simply by using Command Prompt to create a new folder on their PC.

According to users, they created a directory on their PC using the Command Prompt and the issue was completely resolved. To create a directory using the Command Prompt, you need to do the following:

1. Press Windows Key + X to open Win + X menu. Now choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the list. If the Command Prompt isn’t available, you can also use PowerShell (Admin).
  2. When Command Prompt starts, enter cd / to navigate to the root directory.
  3. Now enter mkdir FolderName in order to create a new directory. By doing that you’ll create a new folder on your C drive.

This did create a new folder in the C drive, but it then made the 'new' tab in the context menu become empty.

I then tried to delete the registry key and replace it with the one above, and this replaced the options in the 'new' tab in the context menu, but the 'new folder' option is still missing.

I've then tried these options from this board that other previous users had the same problem with, under this topic:

Please try these methods and see if they help you:

Method 1: Run System File Checker (SFC) scan:

1. Search for 'command prompt' using Cortana or Windows Search.

2. From results, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

3. Type sfc /scannow command and press Enter key.

4. Let the command complete and then reboot the machine.

Method 2: Reset File Explorer (explorer.exe) process:

1. Press Windows Key + R and type SYSDM.CPL in Run. Click OK or press Enter key.

2. In System Properties window, switch to Advanced tab, click Settings under Performance.

3. Next, in Performance Options, under Processor scheduling, make sure that Adjust for best performance of: is set to Programs.

4. Then in the same window, under Virtual memory, click Settings button.

5. On Virtual Memory page, make sure Automatically manage paging file sizes for all drives option is checked. Click OK, then Apply, OK on rest of windows.

I've only just noticed this after having recently had a windows update that dealt with microsoft edge: update KB4559309.

After windows installed this update, I had recently tried to make a new folder and now am not able to either via the context menu, or in windows explorer via the quick menu.

Continue reading...

Back