Windows 10 I can't install the W10 20H2 update even after following ALL troubleshooting steps!!!

• Thread starter Thread starter SporrenBlobthistle
  • Start date Start date
S

SporrenBlobthistle

I am totally unable to install the W10 20H2 feature update. I've been trying now for several weeks and appear to have exhausted all troubleshooting steps, so now I'm here rather desperately hoping someone might have a solution?

Update error code is the typical 0xc1900101 issue, same as 99% of others who've had this problem.

My current build is:
Win10 Home ver 1909 build 18363.1440

System spec is:
GB X99 G1 Gaming Wifi w/ i7-5930K
32GB DDR400 RAM
2TB NVMe SSD with 256GB free space
850w Corsair Gold PSU

Troubleshooting steps taken to date (rebooted after each step prior to retrying the update):

- Multiple attempts to install via Windows Update, which installs, reboots the system, attempts to finalize the update and then fails at around 23-29% causing a 2nd reboot and the "Your PC encountered a problem (KMODE EXCEPTION NOT FOUND)" screen. It then rolls back the changes and boots to OS with no update applied.

- Updated MOBO Bios to latest version, no change update still fails

- Unplugged ALL peripherals except KB+Mouse (no change)

- Uninstalled Nod32 Antivirus (no change)

- Disabled Acronis Trueimage "Active Protection" (no change)

- Disabled all possible Bluetooth onboard devices (no change) - note I still have a "Bluetooth Bus Enumerator" listed in device manager, which cannot be disabled or changed in any way.

- Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter multiple times (it detects the failed update but appears to do absolutely nothing to try and resolve it)

- Performed multiple "sfc /scannow" operations, all with no errors found (no change)

- Performed multiple "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth" operations, again no errors found (no change)

- Performed NET STOP/NET START operations on the following:
wuauserv
cryptSvc
bits
msiserver
(all no change)

- Tried to turn on BIOS Secure Boot (for some reason my BIOS won't let me enable this function, so no go)

- Attempted to install the update using the Windows Media Creation Tool 20H2 (also fails as per above)

- Attempted to install the update using the "Windows10Upgrade9525.exe" file (still fails)

It's important to know that aside from this update, the PC works flawlessly. It gives no other errors, is rock stable, all other updates and apps install and work perfectly. Only 20H2 is an issue.

And its a HUGE issue! Not only to I have to contend with constant interrupts from restart reminders, every single time the update fails it purges the download for it. So I've now had to re-download this 2-4GB update in excess of 20 times on my SSD, which will slowly but surely be killing it's lifespan.

Add to that the fact that Microsoft has forced me to put my PC at high risk by removing all AV protection and performing unnecessary BIOS updates, I'm very upset by the whole thing.

Please help?

Continue reading...

Back