Windows 10 I Can’t Install Windows 10 On A USB Drive. Help me please.

• Thread starter Thread starter Dxoozy
  • Start date Start date
D

Dxoozy

I’m using an HP Stream 14 with 32 gb eMMC storage. All that space is taken up by windows 10 that came preinstalled when I got the laptop. Meaning that there’s barely room for me to install anything.

I did manage to clear up about 7 gigs, which leaves me with ~8.50 gigabytes of storage on my laptop’s local disk. My USB drive is blank with it’s original 32 gigabytes of storage. This should be enough to successfuly complete the Windows 10 installation onto my USB drive.

I go to microsoft and download the Media Creation Tool and save it to the USB drive. Then I run the .exe from there. I selected the options to where it will install Windows 10 onto my USB drive. I also picked the 64 bit installation of Windows 10. And I let it do it’s thing.

While the tool is doing it’s work, I notice that it’s using up my local disk’s storage instead. Is that supposed to happen? I thought it was supposed to install windows 10 directly to my USB drive? As a result, the installation doesn’t finish, because I apparently barely have any space on my local disk on my laptop to finish the installation.

I did find out however, that I am able to install the 32 bit version, which takes up less space on my local disk. Then once the tool finishes what its doing, it then automatically transfers whatever it installed onto my USB drive from my local disk. Then i’m left with the original amount of storage I began with on the local disk, and some of the storage has been used on my USB drive, which i’m guessing is for the Windows 10 installation.

Now clearly, I do not want the 32 bit version of Windows 10. I’m building a PC, and i’m trying to use this USB drive to install Windows 10 on there. Is it possible for me to install the 32-bit version of Windows 10 on my new PC, and then update that Windows 10 32 Bit version to a Windows 10 64 Bit version without any trouble?

The specs for the PC are: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G with a MSI a320m-a Pro Max Motherboard.

So to sum it all up based on what has been said above (I apologize for it being so long) my questions are:

Is it supposed to use my local disk storage?

I thought it was supposed to install directly to my USB drive?

Can I install 32bit windows 10 onto my new PC, and then update it to 64bit windows 10 once I do?

Continue reading...

Back