Windows 10 I don't have a Microsoft Reserved Partition - or maybe I do?

• Thread starter Thread starter GGrohall
  • Start date Start date
G

GGrohall

Hello!

From time Win 10 (clean, new install) tells me that "We couldn't update the system reserved partition" and does not (continue the) update. Therefore I had a closer look at my partitions and indeed found no MSR. According to various search engines, that seems to be a rather common problem. In the upper part of the screenshot below you can see the Windows Misk Management telling me that I have a 529 MB recovery partition, a 48 MB EFI system partition, some kind of 51 MB "primary partition" with no further info, followed by the bootable c:. "Right" of that follow partitions which until recently held a dualboot Linux (and soon will do so again).

However, the MiniTool in the lower section, shows an additional 16 MB "Reserved Partition". This does not show up in the Windows Disk Management (a few numbers are missing, only 1, 2, 3, and 6 as well as c: are shown).

1. Is it normal behaviour that certain partitions are not shown in the Disk Management?
  2. Is the "Reserved Partition" in the MiniTool the MSR?
  3. If so, I assume it is save to "shift c: right" and increse the MSR's size to 500 MB (or a bit more, just in case...)? For this I can use the MiniTool? DiskGenius and AOMEI Partition Manager seem to be okay as well!?
  4. I tried Linux' GParted too, but it told me that if the shifted partition contains c:, Win 10 most likely will not boot anymore. So I stopped it.
  5. One of the tools told me that it will take 11h to shift c: to the right by 3 GB. Is that plausible?

Are these too many questions for a single post?

Thanks very much in advance and appologies if I overlooked something obvious!

Continue reading...

Back