Windows 10 I have a Typo(And a forgotten password)in my Microsoft account login email address, on my second laptop (There is a letter missing). But this one is f

• Thread starter Thread starter Gary Armitage
  • Start date Start date
G

Gary Armitage

This problem is on my other laptop, which lives in the loft music studio.

(The one I am on now lives downstairs, and is just fine. I know my login details for this machine - by heart, and don't want to change anything on this.)

Windows update however, appears to have logged me out of the upstairs machine, for the first time in about 12 months(Keep me signed in "tick" has gone off).

The first (Correct) part of my email address is gary.

On the loft machine, at the login, the address comes up as starting with "gry" - ie - there is a letter "a" missing from that one.

Because it has been quite a long time since I had to log on up there, I don't remember the password I used for that machine, which I assume microsoft, due to the typo, treats as a totally different account to the one I'm on now. !

So now, with the reset codes sent to the "gry" version address, I obviously can't access them, because I don't actually have an email account with that typo'd address.

Oh - this is real fun !

What I need - is to change the email address of the login details,on the loft machine, to the same (Correct) address as this machine has.

But when I do the "Email typo" section, on the loft machine, and then put THIS correct email address in, it comes back with " That address is unavailable". well - obviously it does, because it is my correct address, and is obviously already registered with microsoft.

(As I said - it is in use on the machine I'm on right now !)

Therefore, I am unable to 1. access the microsoft account on that machine

and 2. Am unable to change it.

7 hours in now. Sight is failing. Will to live has left. Fully had enough. Ready to launch laptop through loft window (Open - or Closed !) need help.

Surely I shouldn't need to start windows 10 reinstall, just for this? PS, it's a dual boot machine.

In a nutshell :

A. To keep all the details as - is , on this machine(Don't change a thing here !).

B. To Mirror these details onto the loft machine

c. To reset the loft password to something I can remember (IE: Same as this machine )

D. To completely rid the loft machine, (And Microsoft) of the existing - but wrong address.

Sound complex? Well - it shouldn't be, but it has proven to be nigh on impossible ! and all for a stupid letter "a" !

Continue reading...

Back