Windows 10 I have been stuck in the most painful and pathetic safemode bootloop for the last 2 days.... here is everything I have tried.

• Thread starter Thread starter JaysonL1
  • Start date Start date
J

JaysonL1

For context, I'm not unfamiliar with windows and I have an intermediate technical background, I'm just not super familiar with the command line and a lazy ignorant sometimes. I wanted to perform a DDU as I was having compatibility issues with a game (super unrelated but if you're curious it was Saints Row IV on Steam with a Sapphire Nitro+ 5700xt on AMD Adrenalin version 20.4.2) and it recommended that I boot into safemode before performing the action. I've heard about safemode and figured it would be fine to just flip it on boot and then turn it off and restart back into regular old windows. EXCEPT...., OH MY GOD it wants my local password that I set years ago and have no recollection of as I have been logging in with my pin since windows 10 came out. I did not realize "Windows Hello Pin" was one of the many features omitted from booting in safemode. So naturally i spent 2 hours scrolling through all of my password keeper applications trying every single password I could have possibly imagined only to be met with failure. FROM HERE STUFF GOES DOWN:

1) I reset my microsoft account password using another functioning windows 10 drive I have access to and just going to the website. Entering this new password didn't work, which in hindsight should be obvious because minimal safemode does not load up network drivers.

2) "Well, what about entering the recovery environment with shift+restart and then using advanced startup options to boot safemode with networking?"

Yeah that just like, didn't work. I've read online that people have had issues with this using wifi but im on a wired connection so not relevant.

I know that if safemode with networking was actually working, maybe the login screen would be able to detect that my password has been changed from microsofts servers, but I'm literally stuck with just airplane mode as my only network option in the login screen.

3)"How about the same thing except this time choosing "safemode with command prompt so that you can use bcdedit?" Yeah this just like, isn't working. I don't know why. Honest to god. I'll click it, reboot, then just get sent back to the same disappointing login screen, no command line in sight.

4"Well, you have another windows drive, just use that one for CMD and target the drive you're having an issue with." I did, the whole (bdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot) ((even made sure to set the right drive to default boot device in bios). I actually did originally receive an operation successfully completed, but upon rebooting and seeing the same obviously safemode login screen with nowhere to enter a pin, it was clear it hadn't done jack-diddly.

5) I have looked for windows administrator password reset software all over the internet and literally every single one seems to be a scan. At this point, I submit to frustration and would be willing to pay the 20 or 30 dollars, if such software even did exist.

6) I've tried using "net user Administrator *" in an elevated cmd to reset the password of the local account. What I entered exactly was the name of my target drive (E) followed by ":" and then pressing enter. Then "net user Administrator *" followed by hitting enter twice. This resulted in a message saying the password was succesfully changed, presumably to nothing as I had entered literally nothing and just pressed the enter key twice (was following a guide that told me to do so). Rebooted again annnd still being asked for a local password and still very obviously in safe mode.

I've been reading guides and searching forums for a combined total of 20 hours in the last days. I've got school and work on the line and I can't even reset the windows install because it asks for the same damned password that I'm trying to avoid by resetting the bloody thing. I don't know who'd go out of their way to read something this long, boring, and potentially frustrating (I'm sure I said at least 1 stupid thing about command line in here), but if you do... thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Continue reading...

Back