Windows 10 I have Schrodinger's folders: they simultaneously exist and don't exist! (See body for details.) I want the "lost" folders back!

• Thread starter Thread starter RainbowProducer
  • Start date Start date
R

RainbowProducer

While troubleshooting something else (now solved), my friend and I discovered some kind of bug that is far more concerning. I have "lost" folders!!

C: has a "TempDocs" folder (empty) that is invisible. I know this because when I tried to create another one identically named (after thinking the first one I made didn't create properly for whatever reason), it wanted to merge the two folders because one already existed. However, it is nowhere to be seen.

The original documents location: C:\Users\(username)\TempDocs2 has the same problem: doesn't show up, but exists and wants to merge when you create a new folder. Which continues to not show up.

And in Explorer properties, I have already selected to show hidden files and folders.

So my friend talked me through Win-R (DOS app). DIR command showed no Documents folder. So we tried to create one:

"mkdir TempDocs2".

Error: "A subdirectory of file TempDocs2 already exists."

So we tried "del TempDocs".

"Could not find C:\Users\(username)\TempDocs*".

So we tried "rmdir Documents"

to which we saw "Access is denied".

So... the file exists... it does not show up even in DOS... then DOS says it doesn't exist AND it says it does exist (Schrodinger's DOS!), and when we try to remove it, it says Access is Denied.

We tried the same with the C root drive hidden TempDocs folder ("cd \" "dir" (not shown) "mkdir" (already exists) "rmdir" (access denied) "del" (could not find).

I now have three empty folders, recently created and fortunately empty, that simultaneously exist and not exist, that are preventing me from having anything else where they are of the same name. Grrr!!

...But also very concerning. What if there were files in there? I want to know how to find them! And show them! And delete them! And create ones of the same name that show up! Future me thinks this is important before I totally forget about it and just get really confused later on. Also, I REALLY don't want this to happen with folders with important documents actually in them.

Continue reading...

Back