Windows 10 I somehow created a Windows 10 folder with a name that has a trailing space (blank). How can I get rid of it?

• Thread starter Thread starter web webster
  • Start date Start date
W

web webster

I don't know how I did it but somehow I've created a folder with a name that has a trailing blank space. Let's call it "Folder 9 " (but without the quotes, obvs). Windows and probably MSDOS normally lop off trailing black spaces when the object is created, but somehow missed this one. So now Windows and MSDOS both assume that since it's impossible for a folder name to have a trailing space, all attempts to rename or delete it by name or with a wildcard fail. "Delete" and "Rename" and "Copy" and "Move" deny that it's there. Windows File Manager displays the folder but can't seem to find it when I attempt to delete it. The command window in administrator mode works the same way - it'll list it but it won't delete or rename it.

The windows properties window looks normal (and yes I did try renaming on the general tab) with the exception of the security tab which says "The requested security information is either unavailable or can't be displayed". I don't think I've ever seen that before.

So here's the bottom line: I doubt if anyone is going to be able to help me, I've googled the issue and tried a variety of things that just don't work. But I thought I should mention the problem because even though you'd think it can't happen, it can happen and maybe someone at Msoft might see this and look into it if they have a slow day.

I'm fortunate in that the rogue folder is in a data partition which I can back up, empty out, delete, and reconstruct. The good news is that the rogue folder won't copy either so I won't end up with it in my backup, although I'm going to double check after I do the backup just to make sure.

Continue reading...

Back