Windows 10 I was away from my computer for a time, then when I came back, this message had hijacked my...

• Thread starter Thread starter MichaelM2
  • Start date Start date
M

MichaelM2

Split from this thread.

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your responses. However, is there any way that you could answer the original question? That would be helpful since I'm experiencing the same issue.

The screenshot you posted has the normal text we're used to seeing for a Windows 10 update. However, that is not what the original poster asked about. The text in the original poster's question was as follows:

------

The newest Windows feature update is here.

It's ready to install - with features and apps, this one could take a little longer than other updates. You decide when to make it happen!

Ready? Restart now. Not ready? Pick a time that works for you.

-------

I think the very point of the question is that the text is different from what we're used to seeing, so it seems questionable. What happened with me is that I was away from my computer for a time, then when I came back, this message had hijacked my screen. The background is orange, not blue, but like the original poster, nothing else on the computer is clickable, aside from the three options in this message.

It is also open over a Firefox tab that I did NOT open; there are some mountains around the edges, but I can't see much of what the tab contains since the message that's allegedly from Microsoft is taking up most of the screen.

All of this seems incredibly strange, for the reasons I've mentioned here plus all the other reasons mentioned by others in this thread.

What has further raised my suspicion is that when I googled about Microsoft updates, I did find information about a Fall Creator update, but the websites I pulled up said that update is supposed to start rolling out Oct 17 and today is only Sept 30.

The bottom line is this looks suspicious and what would be helpful is a straightforward yes or no answer as to whether this is a LEGITIMATE Microsoft update, rather than a screenshot of a different message than the one being asked about.

If it is legitimate, then I strongly echo the concerns of other posters on this thread that this seems like a sketchy way to install updates and is probably causing alarm among some of your users.

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.

Continue reading...

Back