Windows 10 Image Thumbnails and Preview no longer loading in File Explorer

• Thread starter Thread starter kuudou
  • Start date Start date
K

kuudou

As of earlier today I noticed that newly downloaded images are not displaying their thumbnails. Went online to look for solutions, looks like a lot of users are having this problem but very few have had offered solutions that aren't completely generic or pulled from a Third Party website. Here's what I have tried:

- Selected the right options to show thumbnails under File options and under "Performance" under Advanced System Options. Did not work.

- Rebuilt thumbnail and icon cache, both through DiskCleanup and CMD. Did not work.

- Updated Windows. Did not work.

- Attempted a restore from a Restore Point (which failed, did not try again)

- Installed Third-party Codec that was suggested by another thread, as that user explained, the thumbnail service is attempting to build a thumbnail and display it but is lacking the codec to do so. Did not work.

- Disabled Download Files on Demand (or something) for Onedrive, as suggested by another thread. Did not work.

Interesting things to note:

- Since I deleted the old thumbnail cache, images previously saved or downloaded no longer have their thumbnails.

- If I select the default Microsoft Photos app as the default image viewer, when opening a folder all of my images flash their thumbnail briefly before going back to a blank icon. It looks like thumbnails are somehow being generated, but not displayed.

- All video files, and icon files load their thumbnails perfectly. It looks like only image files are affected: jpg, jpeg, png, etc.

- MOST of my images are still blank icons, no thumbnails. I say most because inexplicably a small number of them managed to retain their thumbnails. No clue as to why this is.

Looking up similar issues on Google and Microsoft Answers reveals a lot of people have had similar problems to mine, but no viable solution. If anyone has somehow gotten a fix or something to work. Please let me know.

Continue reading...

Back