Windows 10 Interaction Between Bitlocker and a Virtual Hard Drive (VHD) in a RAID 1 Volume on Windows 10

• Thread starter Thread starter Iratium
  • Start date Start date
I

Iratium

I have a RAID 1 (mirroring) volume on two SSD's in my system, and I have gotten Bitlocker to encrypt this volume by setting up a virtual hard drive (VHD) on the volume and setting it to the size of the volume. This is a bit of a workaround because Bitlocker only works with hardware RAID configurations, where I am only able to run a software RAID configuration. Even though my VHD is in the software RAID, Windows recognizes it as a separate physical disk and allows encryption. Additionally, I am using a TPM through Intel Platform Trust Technology, though my system does not have a dedicated TPM.

I am curious as to how recovering my data will work, should the need arise; specifically:

1. If one of the SSD's fails, will the remaining drives and VHD function as normal?
  2. Will the VHD and/or RAID configuration interfere with recovery in any way (TPM/PIN/Recovery Key/Startup Key/Recovery Password)?
  3. Will migrating to a new system (motherboard and CPU) be affected?

I realize Bitlocker is likely not supposed to work with software RAID for these kinds of scenarios, but still seems like an arbitrary restriction on what I can do with my data.

Continue reading...

Back