Windows 10 Intermiddent BSoD caused by Intelppm.sys. Error: Machine Check Exception: bug check 9c

• Thread starter Thread starter CalebChambers1
  • Start date Start date
C

CalebChambers1

Greetings, I apologize for the wall of text, but if anyone can take the time to read I will greatly appreciate it.

I'm having some very random BSoDs while playing one game, but never during any other games, or any other activity on the pc. Game in question is Honkai Impact 3rd. It has only happened 4 times total since the 9th, but I'm a paranoid person and would like to get to the bottom of it ASAP. Error code is: MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION

Did a bunch of googling and discovered that the game has a Ring 0 anti-cheat that it is apparently notorious for causing these, but after looking at the dump file myself I don't see anything pointing towards that, and I'm trying to determine if there's some underlying issue here, or if it's just a fault in the game itself. Doesn't happen right away, seems to be extremely random, sometimes after hours, and sometimes after about 15 minutes. So, I can't recreate it at will.

This is the first time I've ever had any form of BSoD in 7~ years or so of owning different gaming PCs, and the PC currently in question I built back in January and has had absolutely zero issues.

I have not swapped any hardware out, nor really installed anything at all new outside of the game. Windows 10 was updated to 2004 near the end of June, and the problem didn't arise until 7/9 (2 days, or so after installing the game) Nothing specific in eventlogs happening around the time of the BSoD either.

Disabled XMP profile and restored all BIOS settings to default to see if it would potentially fix, and nada. Ran 4 passes of memtest86 on both sticks of RAM, and each one at a time and got zero errors there.

Tried updating Nvidia drivers. (Have not tried DDU yet, but I don't think this seems to be related to those at all, but will try if it sounds possible.) BIOS is up to date / most recent one and has been since the day I built the system. SFC / DISM / chkdsk etc all showed no errors.

I have closely monitored the temps, does not look to be a heat related issue. CPU idles around 30c and during games it's usually in the ballpark of 40~52c and I've never really seen it go above that.

I truly want to think that this is related to the anticheat, but I have no past experience dealing with BSoD and would like some opinions on how to proceed.

Dump files: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kCW4ULGfe2OAQUUBN7R0VdOCMKJgg32L/

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MWdspT2YxNVc8VkZtZ02pIEC4rFCE8mb

Specs: Windows 10 2004
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro (not wifi)
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) F4-3200C16D-16GTZKW
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super GV-N207SGAMING OC-8GD
CPU: i7-9700k
PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 850W
SSD: Samsung 970 Pro 1TB

If it's at all relevant, running two monitors both at 144hz.

Thanks if you read this.

TL;DR everything points towards intelppm.sys. I have updated my chip set, ran cpu stress tests, etc. without any blue screens. Seems to only happen on this one game. Is there something I'm over looking here? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Continue reading...