Windows 10 Intermittent but Regular Network Disconnections - (Dell XPS 15 7590 - Killer AX1650 - Windows 10 Home)

• Thread starter Thread starter scwchen
  • Start date Start date
S

scwchen

Hello all,

I have been having intermittent network issues on my laptop for about a month and while I usually wouldn't post a question, I seem to have come to a dead end in terms of my technical support knowledge.

It is a bit of an interesting scenario, at least to me, so I hope someone is able to help or at least shed some light on what might be happening. I hope to cover everything I have tried and will do my best to be as detailed as I can but please bear with me if I do miss something.

Background:
I purchased a Dell XPS 15 7590 in December 2019 and it was working well, no issues after a clean install of Windows 10 Home.

Current System:

Network card: Killer AX1650 network card

Modem/Router: Hitron CODA-4582

Dell BIOS: 1.6.0

Problem:

Around April 22, 2020. I started experiencing odd drops from the network (wireless).

The network itself is still broadcasting correctly as my other devices ARE still connected.

Also, my laptop can still see my network in the available connections list but I just have been suddenly dropped.

When I try to reconnect I simply get a message stating 'Can't connect to this network' which unfortunately gives me no pertinent information.

No errors in my error log (although warnings and informational messages but they are mostly just telling me what I already know)

I have read a number of similar questions online but nothing exactly as I am describing.

**The odd thing I noticed was the times at which the disconnects occurred as they were at weirdly regular intervals. Not always at the same intervals but always at some denomination of 10 minutes (10, 20, 30, 40, 60, 70, etc).**

Perhaps this is a clue to something I am simply not understanding.

For example:

Network Disconnects: (Note it is not usually this bad)

May 18, 2020 from 6:00 pm - current (around 10:50pm as I am starting to write this)

6:19:19 PM

7:19:19 PM

7:29:22 PM

7:39:19 PM

7:49:21 PM

7:59:18 PM

8:09:09 PM

8:19:22 PM

8:29:08 PM

9:29:18 PM

9:39:18 PM

9:59:20 PM

10:09:12 PM

10:29:19 PM

This occurs on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.

However, during these 'drops' I CAN connect to my phone hotspot.

Current solution:

Wait for 1-2 minutes and my laptop will simply reconnect. Not a big deal when just browsing the web but when gaming or during video calls, it makes it very difficult.

Things I have tried and other information:

- Reboot modem/router

- Set computer DNS

• Google, Cloudflare, OpenDNS

- Set static IP

- Reserve IP on router

- Enabled DFS channels on router

- Change wireless channels to reduce interference

- Checked DHCP lease expiry (1 week)

- sfc /scannow

- dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

- Flush DNS

- TCP/IP Reset

- Disabled 'Allow power management to turn off' network adapter

- Changed MIMO Power Save Mode - No SMPS

- Changed 802.11n/ac/ax Wireless mode to AC instead of AX (just to test)

- Disabled IPv6

- Drivers:

• Uninstall network adapter and let Windows reinstall drivers
  • Reinstall older Killer drivers
  • Remove all Killer software (Control Center etc.)
  • Install drivers from Dell website
  • Rollback drivers to older drivers
  • Installed Intel AX200 drivers to see if that would work (from my understanding, hardware-wise, the same card)

- Clean reinstall Windows

- Rollback to version of Windows prior to issue

- Set laptop to never sleep only hibernate

- Temporarily disable firewall

- Connect via VPN

- Disable RSS, Autotuning, and Taskoffload

- Windows networking troubleshooters (I include these although they are garbage but someone is going to reply asking me to run it, so alas here it is)

Things I have considered but have tried to avoid for the time being:

I share internet with my landlords and it has never been an issue. The modem/router is right above me but has not moved.

- Connect via ethernet

• This is tricky because to properly test I would have to be connected for an extended period of time and in pandemic times I would rather not chance it too much. Plus I currently don't have a USB-ethernet dongle but it's not like that's much of a limiting factor.
  • Also I shouldn't have to, which is where my curiosity currently has me digging into.

- Factory reset modem/router

• Kind of don't want to do this since all the other devices are working fine and it would interfere with my landlords but this may just me my only option.
  • I just want to rule everything else out before I have to do it.

What I want to know:

Ultimately, I just want to know if anyone can help me shed some light on what the hell is going on.

If it is a router, network adapter, or straight up Windows issue. Once I can pinpoint that I can be on better footing.

Obviously I am happy to run further diagnostics and post more information or if anyone has an idea that I may have completely glossed over please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Continue reading...

Back