Windows 10 Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) not working - Ethernet and USB RNDIS Gadget (Win-10)

• Thread starter Thread starter David1010P
  • Start date Start date
D

David1010P

I've recently been trying to set up ICS between my Ethernet connected Win-10 desktop and a USB connected Raspberry Pi - following the procedures detailed in a number of YouTube videos and several Microsoft support articles. Despite this, I cannot get Windows 10 configured so that the USB connected Raspberry Pi can actually communicate with the Internet.

The Raspberry Pi shows up as an "Ethernet/RNDIS Gadget" network adapter (as expected) which is shared from the Ethernet adapter that connects the Windows system to the Internet. From the Windows system I can successfully SSH and ping the Raspberry Pi using its pseudo name "raspberrypi.local". From the Raspberry Pi (after I have SSH"ed to it) I can ping the Windows system by using its pseudo host name "hostname.local", but cannot ping it using its static IP address (used on the real Ethernet adapter that connects to the to the Internet router). The Raspberry Pi cannot resolve or ping any real DNS names such as real sites on the Internet have.

In trying to debug and fix this I noticed that the Windows Internet Connection Sharing service wasn't running, so started it and changed its start up to automatic. After numerous reboots, this has had no impact on the problem.

I tried disabling IPv6 on the Raspberry Pi's adapter on the Windows system, which also had no effect on the problem.

I even tried turning off ICS and bridging the Ethernet adapter connected to the Internet and the Raspberry Pi's USB adapter, but all that did was break my Windows system's ability to connect to the Internet - so i quickly undid it.

I tried assigning the Raspberry Pi's adapter on Windows a static IP address (rather than the default DHCP address) and pointing it to my Internet gateway and local DNS service from the "Network & Internet/Ethernet" menu - but this also didn't do anything to help the situation.

I temporarily disabled my Norton firewall, but this had no impact on the problem as well.

I've tried countless tweaks, just to find something that works - but so far nothing has - to get the Raspberry Pi connected to the Internet through my Windows system.

One rather weird thing is that whenever I try to open the "Network Connections" folder from the start menu or open the adapter properties - my very fast system can take 1 or 2 minutes to open these items. (Normally my desktop system is very fast and responsive, as I can open pretty much anything else in a second or so). It's not like the system is at all busy or doing lots of network communication either - it's just an odd mystery about why some of the network related folders and pop-up panels take so long to come up (and sometimes equally long to go away again after hitting "OK" or "Cancel").

I'd used ICS for years on older versions of Windows, but am wondering if it is simply broken under Windows-10 (PRO, at its current maintenance level) for non-WiFi devices right now? Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back