Windows 10 Internet connection slows down after several hours...

• Thread starter Thread starter DouglasPawl
  • Start date Start date
D

DouglasPawl

About two updates ago, I noticed my internet Ethernet connection, using WOW 500/50 plan, slows down to less than 20 Mbps after several hours. I am confirming this through various speed test services. Naturally, I had WOW come out and after going through multiple tests, they determined that I was getting the speed I was supposed to get, all the way up until my computer. Even my WiFi 5G was pulling over 300 - 350 down, yet my ethernet connection was in the teens. We even tried a different cable modem, but the issues continued.

After searching for answers, I came across a user that had something similar, and his resolution was to disconnect the ethernet adapter, reboot and it should go back to normal speeds after it re-installs the adapter on start up. Tried it, hey it works!! speeds stayed stable for a couple of days, and then started to decline once again. I noticed that I can temper this issue slightly by running a script to disable the ethernet adapter, then re-enable it:

Code:
@echo off

:: BatchGotAdmin

:-------------------------------------

REM  --> Check for permissions

>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.

if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (

echo Requesting administrative privileges...

goto UACPrompt

) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt

echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

set params = %*:"=""

echo UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/c %~s0 %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

exit /B

:gotAdmin

pushd "%CD%"

CD /D "%~dp0"

:--------------------------------------

:: Disables the Ethernet adapter

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" admin=disable

:: Enables the Ethernet adapter

netsh interface set interface "Ethernet" admin=enable

:: Confirms adapter is enabled

netsh interface show interface

Doing a speed test immediately afterward confirms speeds are back up to over 500 mbps. (I should note that my upload speeds are never affected - only the download speed). The bad news is that this only lasts for about 4-6 hours or so. Does anyone have any ideas on how to permanently solve this problem?

I'm currently on Windows 10 Pro 1903 Build 18362.356

Continue reading...

Back