Windows 10 Internet/Network drops when opening any application.

• Thread starter Thread starter CharlotteClarkey
  • Start date Start date
C

CharlotteClarkey

Good evening!

I have spent the last few hours trying to find a pattern to my internet disconnects and found a connection, but have no idea how to use this info to solve the problem.

My internet keeps losing connection. This only occurs on my pc and laptop (windows 10) and also causes alexa to have a long delay. Phones and tv are fine.

Ive pinned it down to: my connection cuts off and restarts whenever i open ANY program/application. But the severity of how long it stays down for depends on how heavy the app is Im opening.

Tested this by having ookla speed test open while opening various programs. Open the calculator? Just a second or two drop. 60 mbps-30. Then bounces back up. Opening xbox beta app? Im going down for 5-10 seconds or more. 60 mbps to about 10, or less/a freeze. Opening a game? Full internet loss and can take minutes to get it back on.

Once the program fully opens I can use it all i want with no connection drop (example, i downloaded all of microsoft flight sim at 60mbps over 4 hours, but if i opened another program with it in the background it would stop downloading as the connection would interrupt.) Or i can browse as many chrome tabs as I want with no drop but god forbid I open spotify, poof, internet gone!

Im on wifi with a tp-link, drivers fully updated. We use plusnet.

We have another router that can be installed and tested tomorrow, but if its something like a network setting in the current router then itll be a waste of time setting up a whole new one only for the same issue to occur!

Any help is very much appreciated. Also i dont really understand network settings and IPs, but can follow instruction :)

Continue reading...

Back