Windows 10 Is it possible to retrieve WLAN data from a dead Windows 10 pro PC?

• Thread starter Thread starter xprt007
  • Start date Start date
X

xprt007

Hi there

My Samsung notebook with Win 10 Pro, 64 Bit, after 8 years of intensive use and probably over 1.5 million miles of mileage seemed to have permanently died recently. It no longer reacts to the power switch and i do not think spending hundreds of $$, which I in any case do not have would be justified to repair it. Before that, the screen had also got a problem for which an expensive replacement was recommended.

Luckily, I always make system images and I have access to data files by opening WindowsImageBackup, though lost many programs I cannot re-install, those that had one time activation.

I normally have access and use several WLAN networks at different locations, which use normal WPA2 encryption and have their credentials. For one critical WLAN network, though - my primary internet access - a university network (meaning no access to the centrally administered gadgets) and using enterprise encryption (?), it was not possible to separately note down the credentials at the time I started using the network as the notebook was still working and I have no access to the administrator any more, due to diverse factors. Even then as the notebook was still working, unlike normal WLAN networks, the login credentials of the enterprise version do not have the option of viewing them via the control panel.

So here are my questions:

• Is WLAN data by any chance stored in a particular Windows system folder(s)/file(s) that can be identified and if so, which one(s)?
  • if this data is stored in this Windows file, crazy as it may sound, is it possible after extracting it from the system image of the dead notebook, overwriting the same folder/file in another Windows 10 installation and having the saved WLAN networks accessible on a different Windows 10 notebook? I would of course make a copy of the original folder/files on new system before that.

I know this sounds crazy, but this particular network provides critical internet access for me at that particular location and being without it is a real nightmare, which should explain my dresperation.

I would very much appreciate you help.

Is there any other way of solving this, using any of the files in the connected system image?
Please remember I have no access to system administrator for a long while to come, otherwise this would not be an issue.

Thank you in advance

Continue reading...

Back