Windows 10 Is there a way to find my Windows 8.1 product key after having upgraded to Windows 10 and then afterwards having also changed the motherboard?

• Thread starter Thread starter Chaos_Lord
  • Start date Start date
C

Chaos_Lord

I had an old desktop with Windows 8.1 "Installed from 'Full Packaged Product' media" (according to Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder). I later upgraded it to Windows 10. Later my desktop broke down, and I moved the drive with the OS to another desktop, but now it says Windows 10 is not activated. I apparently did not have a digital license linked to a Microsoft account, as I was using a local account, so I could not reactivate Windows 10 that way. So it seems the only option left was to find and re-enter my Windows 8.1 product key. I used Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder as well as ShowKeyPlus in an effort to retrieve my Windows 8.1 product key (as I could not find it on any sticker on my old PC), but they just returned a default key for Windows 10 instead of my Windows 8.1 product key, and ShowKeyPlus says a digital license is required for activation. Is there any way to find my Windows 8.1 product key with no access to my old motherboard, so that I can use it to reactivate Windows 10?

Also what became of my Windows 10 digital license that I had not linked to a Microsoft account? Is it gone with the old motherboard?

Continue reading...