Windows 10 Is there way to copy files to/from Virtual Machine running Windows XP?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ldor108
  • Start date Start date
L

Ldor108

Hi,

I created a VM and installed Windows XP on it because I have some old programs that don't run correctly under Windows 10 or 7. But now there seems to be now way to copy files between the host system (Windows 10 Professional) and VM.

- Enhanced session button is grayed out. After some research I found that it does not work on VMs running old Windows, like XP.

- Also VMConnect dialog is not available, I guess for the same reason.

- Copy-VMFile cmdlet in PwerShell also reports an error, probably for the same reason

- Mounting the MV's virtual disk file as a drive works one time. But after that Windows XP, when starting, reports a problem with the disk and runs Checkdisk. If I mount this virtual disk as a drive once again then next time Windows XP just crashes and never starts again. So I had to delete VM and create a new one.

The only way I found to copy files to VM is to pack them as an iso file and then use this file in VM as a DVD drive. A little long way but works. But only one way, I don't see any way to get files back from VM. Also, it could not connect to the internet, so I can't email files to myself.

Is there any solution that works? Would be thankful for suggestions.

Continue reading...