Windows 10 kmode_exception_not_handled BSOD error when logging in to Windows 10 after installing Win...

• Thread starter Thread starter David Mandl
  • Start date Start date
D

David Mandl

I've encountered this twice in the past month while trying to use my machine after a Windows 10 update.

In both cases, the only solution I could think to make was to restore my machine to a point created prior to installing the update.

Behavior:

• Update installs, and after reboot I get to the log-in screen.
  • I login as per usual.
  • Approximately 15 seconds or so after I log in, the machine hits a BSOD (Stop Code: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED)
  • Process continues until I enter advanced troubleshooting where I can restore to my image backup on my external hd.
  • I can enter Safe Mode and Safe Mode With Networking.

Obviously, I either refuse to update Windows every chance I get (hey, I can turn on "Defer upgrades" in my Settings, yes?) or I commit the insanity of possibly going through this with every update while expecting a different result.

Some cursory searching led me to this link for a potential solution, albeit from a third party site: http://windowsreport.com/kmode-exception-windows-10/

With all that background, here's my question: Is there a formal solution posted for this problem on Microsoft.com*? Or am I safe to try the WindowsReport version?

In either case, I'm really hoping there's something I can do that DOESN'T involve restoring to an earlier image and therefore wiping out any work stored locally since my last backup.

*I search and it leads me to these boards, but there are far too many posts on this topic for me to sift through to want to spend the time to find one that has the same symptoms as me... seems like there are all sorts of problems one can have with this update

Continue reading...

Back