Windows 10 Laptop freezes randomly sometimes and requires a restart, but rarely when playing some games

• Thread starter Thread starter Dubiology
  • Start date Start date
D

Dubiology

Hi I've had this issue that appeared with my laptop a while ago now and I've tried to fix it but have ended up just living with it really. Hopefully one of you will be able to help.

At seemingly random times and seemingly randomly often, my laptop will crash. This crash is completed and requires a restart when it happens to get any functionality at all (can't even move mouse cursor, usb power still works though). When the crash happens if there is sound playing at the time there is a <5 second long harsh buzzing noise which then goes.

The weird thing about this is I've noticed when playing certain games, it tends not to crash which has resulted in me windowing certain games (like Dark Souls 3) always even while doing other stuff. However, this issue still happens and tends to happen more while windowed. Some games have zero effect on the crash and some work decently well but I've found DS3 to be the best. Weirder still, sometimes the crash just doesn't happen for ages, even without a game running, and I'll come back to my laptop after being out for a weekend or something, and it'll still be functioning, although it tends to crash soon after coming back, even after being away for like 48 hours. Sometimes the crash doesn't happen for like a week, and then sometimes it happens before I can even log into Windows using a PIN on an SSD.

If anyone could offer some advice I'd be v grateful.

Hardware is:

i7-7700HQ

GTX 1050 ti

16gb RAM SODIMM (idk which brand installed by previous user)

Samsung SSD 860 EVO (installed by previous user)

Continue reading...