Windows 10 Laptop no longer works after Update

• Thread starter Thread starter Alen Shaji
  • Start date Start date
A

Alen Shaji

Hello, so I'm currently facing a huge issue on my laptop, which is an Asus GL502VM, after Windows decided to perform an update. It was running Windows 10 which came preinstalled with the laptop and I had paused the recent updates since these usually caused more issues.

So anyway this afternoon once I was finished with my work and decided to shut down the laptop it decided to perform an update. At that time I didn't think too much of it and just let it run. After some time when I started up the laptop it was stuck on the logo screen for 10 minutes (without the circling dots), another 10 minutes once the circling dots came up and after that I got the login screen. I typed the pin and entered my account and again had to wait 10 minutes looking at a black screen before my desktop showed and found that I can't do anything there. I was unable to open apps, the settings and not even windows explorer (for some reason Edge worked).

I decided to restart the laptop in safe mode to see if I can do anything to solve the issue in that. So I ran msconfig (could still run commands with Win+R) and applied the safe mode option and now I can no longer get past the black screen.

I'm thinking a system restore or a fresh install might be the only way to get through this. I'm not sure on how to do either since I can barely access anything on the system.

I'm also worried that the fresh install would leave me with an unactivated version of windows and make me lose all my data which is in my HDD. The laptop has both a 256GB SSD (where the OS is installed and apps as well) and a 1TB HDD. Will the fresh install wipe out the files in the HDD? Also I don't have a Windows License key since I've never needed it before.

Any input on how to solve this would be appreciated.

Continue reading...

Back