Windows 10 Long-standing random crashes and BSODs

• Thread starter Thread starter Vickyfox
  • Start date Start date
V

Vickyfox

Hello!

I have been experiences freezes and crashes of my PC for well over a year now, and I've done almost all in my power to resolve them; all without success. I've looked up countless advice and forum posts, but nothing worked.

The exact sequence of the BSOD is as follows: first, the computer freezes, all screens become still and audio... "loops"? it gives a continuous buzz of the last sound it was playing (different toned buzzes) or silence if it wasn't playing any sound. Then after a while all screens but the primary turns black, and the primary displays the dreaded blue screen "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR".

The BSODs happen when idle most of the time (around 80%) and specifically after heavy use, 0 to 10 minutes after returning to idle, but not every single time (I couldn't reproduce consistently by starting games and quitting them, but that is usually when I experience them). The remaining 20% are usually "plain idle" as much as a browser and spotify/discord can be considered idle, on startup, and very rarely if not almost never during heavy use (games).

First, let me try to summarize all that I've done in that lapse of time in the most succinct manner I can:

• I started having BSODs (WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR if I remember correctly, but I can't be sure any more);
  • I bought an altogether new computer (it was due for a change), hence, except for the GPU (Nvidia 1080Ti), screens, headset, mouse and keyboard, everything was different;
  • As BSODs continued, I discovered a reddit thread (here) where users had been experiencing crashes similar to mine due to the headset dongle, I removed the headset, deleted all drivers;
  • Reinstalled Windows 10 entierly to make sure all drivers were deleted;
  • Changed the GPU to a Nvidia 2080Ti;
  • Examining the Event Logs, I found some DCOM errors (with the red exclamation point) whose timing coincided very precisely with the freezes, encouraged by this thread, I went and fixed it.
  • After this last fix, nothing ever appeared in the Event Logs, the only errors I have are Kernel notifications telling me the system shutdown wasn't proper;
  • I've tried underclocking both the GPU and the CPU up to as much as I would be allowed to (-502MHz);
  • I've changed keyboard, mouse, and even moved house (I thought at some point it might have been a power problem) since, and still the BSODs persist.

From all the troubleshooting of WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERRORs I've seen, the most probable culprits are CPU, GPU, RAM and disk storage. To test them, I have run Memtest86+ for 20 hours (unfortunately only amounted to 5 passes instead of the 8 I've seen advised), which found no error. The bootable tool SeaTools for my SSD (from the same constructor) couldn't find any errors in any of its tests. Lastly I have tried using the Kombustor benchmark from the same tool I used to underclock CPU and GPU for about an hour and a half without any issue.

After more than a year of being haunted by those blue screens (which not only disturb my hobbies, but also my work as I use the same computer for both); I have almost lost hope in ever being to fix them (and I've started to seriously consider vodoo a valid cause).

Here are all my components as detected per Speccy:

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 7820X @ 3.80GHz
Skylake-X 14nm Technology
RAM
32.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1500MHz (15-17-17-35)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. PRIME X299-A (LGA 2066 R4)
Graphics
ZOWIE XL LCD (1920x1080@144Hz) [NOTE: Display Port]
ZOWIE XL LCD (1920x1080@144Hz) [NOTE: Display Port]
ZOWIE XL LCD (1920x1080@144Hz) [NOTE: HDMI (different model from the other two)]
3071MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc)
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM009-2G4100 (SATA)
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
High Definition Audio Device

If you have any other question or need any more details I'd be more than happy to answer.

Thank you for your time,

Vicky.

Continue reading...

Back