Windows 10 Loosing Ethernet connectivity with Microsoft Dockingstation USB-C Travel Hub on W10 1909 x64

• Thread starter Thread starter Maurice David Wörnhard
  • Start date Start date
M

Maurice David Wörnhard

Hi all

I recently bought the Microsoft Dockingstation USB-C Travel Hub. While it's a stylish and cool device, I have a major issue: anytime between 2 and 8 minutes after plugging it in into my HP portable device's Thunderbolt port, the Ethernet connection drops - the operating system does not even see the NIC anymore and the "Surface Ethernet Adapter" is show as disconnected in Device Manager (View > Show hidden devices).

I can reproduce the problem with another HP Device having a Thunderbolt port. Other attached peripherals (like headphones) continue to function.

My main device is running W10 1909 (Build 1198) 64-bit edition, and I have manually updated the Surface Ethernet Adapter Driver to the newest version available from the Update Catalog (10.14.117.2020). I have been unable to find useful information in Event Viewer, or any other place

Maybe related is another weird problem: when booting my HP with the older HP Travel Dock with USB-C (P/N 839032-001), Windows 10 does not recognize the Ethernet port either (using the newest HP driver . Removing and re-attaching the dock helps only somtimes, but most often I need to reboot my device. Using the standalone HP USB 3.0 Ethernet Adapter using USB-A works fine.

This leads me to the question of the problem is not Travel Dock dependent, but rather a more generic Windows issue connected to USB-C?

I would appreciate help and advice. Thanks for reading, Maurice

Continue reading...

Back