Windows 7 Losing Disk Space On C:\ Windows 7

• Thread starter Thread starter DFW333
  • Start date Start date
D

DFW333

Hello.

I know this is a fairly common question and I have seen a lot of people ask it but I have yet to see anyone include this particular detail, possibly because my search results are skewed for whatever reason...

Anyway, I have a 1TB hard drive with actual capacity of 931 Gigabytes as seen by Windows 7. Just last night, over the course of a few minutes I watched as 50 megabytes free space remaining dwindled down to 6 megabytes. No new programs were being added, nothing was being downloaded (at least to my knowledge). I opened up the Computer folder and looked at all my hard drives when I got a low disk space alert. It was very odd as just a few days ago I had at least 10 gigabytes free, and no new programs had been installed. I hit the refresh button at the top several times and each time I did I saw the amount of free space on C:\ go down.

I have tried disk clean up and a bunch of other programs and "fixes" to this problem found all over the web, but none have solved it. Disk cleanup is completely worthless by the way, it always crashes when scanning dump files or something. It has never completed its task in the entire time I've had this computer. Today I found that my C:\Windows folder is 657 gigabytes.

Obviously that is the source of the problem. Unfortunately, the folders do not display their size unless I right-click them and select properties for each one individually.

My question is, what folders in C:\Windows can I simply delete from the hard drive without causing issues?

Continue reading...