Windows 10 Major Windows 10 Updates Keep Changing my Registry Settings, Driver Settings, and More

• Thread starter Thread starter MatthewChops
  • Start date Start date
M

MatthewChops

Upon updating to the most recent version of Windows 10 Pro for Workstation (2004), a lot of changes that I have previously made to the registry either get changed or completely deleted. One I know right off of the top of my head are "Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WaitToKillServiceTimeout". I have explicitly added this key before, and I don't know why this key, along with many others I have made in the past get deleted. Another thing that happens is that my graphics options can get changed that were in the Nvidia control panel, such as the "Output dynamic range" setting for my monitor being changed from "Full" to "Limited", which is another setting I explicitly set. The day I updated to this new version I had to revert back to the previous version with a full system image I created before the update to keep all my changes that I have made previously. I ask this, why is it whenever a major update gets released, many settings in my registry, driver options, sometimes even group policy, get modified, reset, or deleted? How can I prevent this? I refuse to update to the latest version if these major system wide changes happen after every large update. I understand things change with updates, but this is the fourth time now that a major update has changed these settings, all of which seem to revert the same types of settings/keys I list here.

Continue reading...

Back