Windows 10 Media streaming just... stops. WHY?

• Thread starter Thread starter SonofRojBlake
  • Start date Start date
S

SonofRojBlake

I'm running Windows 10 on a desktop PC. Windows boots from an SSD C:. On an HDD E: on the same PC, I have a number of folders with films, TV shows and self-created videos.

This PC is connected via Ethernet to my router, an EE Smarthub.

Also connected via Ethernet to my EE Smarthub are a PS4 and a Humax HDR1100s Freesat Recorder. Both these devices have DNLA clients allowing them to stream content from suitable servers on the network.

Until about yesterday, I was able to stream content from the hard drive of my PC to either or both of these devices with very few issues, using either Media Player or Serviio (the latter to transcode odd formats). Both devices would usually show both servers (the PC and, separately, Serviio)

As of the last 36 hours or so, this no longer works... or rather it works sometimes, extremely rarely, and stops randomly for no apparent reason. Reinstalling Serviio worked for about 30 minutes, but then the film that was streaming simply stopped and the PS4 could no longer see the server.

Bafflingly, I can still stream content WIRELESSLY to my PHONE, using BubbleUPnP.

When I go to Windows Media Player, I find that streaming is just switching itself off randomly, and switching it back on DOESN'T WORK. Restarting doesn't work. Uninstalling Media Player by going into "Turn Features On and Off", unchecking it, restarting, checking it, then restarting again, doesn't work.

Furthermore, when I go into Windows Media Player - Stream - More Streaming Options, and look at the "Show Devices on Local Network" list, that list no longer shows the PS4 or the TV box. They're definitely connected to the router and the network perfectly well because they can both run BBC iPlayer to stream content from the internet, and the internet connection to the PC is solid, so the problem is DEFINITELY the media streaming software on my PC.

I haven't deliberately installed any updates, new software or anything in the last couple of days, so I'm baffled how this previously pretty stable system has suddenly become a massively frustrating basket case.

Can anyone help, please?

Continue reading...

Back