Windows 10 Microphone being detected by windows but no sound is being picked up

• Thread starter Thread starter Ali2715
  • Start date Start date
A

Ali2715

So I have been having issues with new computer trying to get my microphone sorted.

I have a Turtle Beach wired headset and have an audio splitter connecting it to my desktop. I first tried the front panel connectors and then tried the audio panel on the motherboard at the back of my pc, no luck.

So this headset works on my xbox and on my laptop, and I have tried other 3.5 aux jack mics to see if just my headset was the one that's affected, but none work. In control panel, it picks up that a headset and microphone are connected, and running and troubleshooting tool says that there are no issues and that everything is working fine.

The issue come in where when listening to audio, the green bars on the headphones will go up and act normal, I can hear audio just fine. The problem is the microphone... no matter what settings I play with: voice recording, turning the mic volume all the way up, deleting drivers, nothing works and there is no audio being picked up.

So to test if there's a soundcard issue I used a pair of Bluetooth earbuds with a built in mic and connected them to my computer, and wouldn't you know, both the headphone and mic portion worked in discord and the bars were showing up in control panel.

So what is the issue? both mic in jacks on my case and my motherboard are reporting there is a device connected, but no sound is being reported. I've tried raising the volume, playing with nearly every windows setting, from voice recording to enabling apps to use my mic. I've unplugged the speaker I have set up and that didn't do anything.

The two solutions I have seen is Microsoft Edge and Windows itself. I've seen people stating that switching to chrome helped their issue, and that edge was the issue. I don't know if they had the same issue of the microphone being detected but audio not registering, nor would I understand how edge would affect discord or control panel performance over something like watching youtube in an edge browser. The final solution I have seen is a clean install of windows fixed one or two people's issue, but I'm really trying to avoid that, nor would I know how that would affect my purchased Microsoft office. Would I need to buy a new code?

EDIT: One thing to note is when I go into device manager and try to update the audio driver by using the "browse my computer" and then "let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer" option, it gives me a warning:

Anyone with any steps before re-installing windows would be a huge help. I can provide further information if needed.

Continue reading...

Back