Windows 10 Microsoft Basic Display Adapter preventing driver upgrade to Intel HD 530 and overriding dedicated graphics card on Acer laptop

• Thread starter Thread starter RomBarkhordar
  • Start date Start date
R

RomBarkhordar

After upgrading to Windows 10 version 2004, build 19041.508 and then attempting to upgrade your automatically installed MBDA driver back to integrated Intel HD 530 driver, I would get a BSOD and would have to revert back to MBDA in safe mode to prevent BSOD's from continuing. Tried to revert the driver manually and from Inte's Driver Assistant Tool, but both attempts resulted in BSOD.

Another problem with the MBDA is that it is somehow overriding my dedicated graphics card (Nvidia GeForce 980m) and not allowing it to properly run any games, (they'd run at around 5 to 7 FPS) and certain power features like not allowing the "sleep" option. I've set the global option to "high performance Nvidia processor" and individual programs in Nvidia control panel, but when I open Task Manager the Geforce 980 remains idle and the integrated card is not even displayed:

GPU 0 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980M

Driver version: 27.21.14.5206

Driver date: 8/12/2020

DirectX version: 12 (FL 12.1)

Physical location: PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0

Utilization 0%

Dedicated GPU memory 0.0/4.0 GB

Shared GPU memory 0.0/15.9 GB

GPU Memory 0.0/19.9 GB

This is the impasse I'm currently at and after hours and hours of trying to figure this out on my own and with help from dozens of youtube videos and many, many BSOD episodes with two Windows re-installs and a recovery roll-back, I'm at wit's end. My next step is to just take the laptop to a repair shop, but I wanted to try here first. Below is the link to my dump and NFO file. Please let me know if you need more info. Thank you.

Dump file - Minidump#2

Continue reading...

Back