Windows 10 Microsoft Edge and Windows Store inaccessible with my VPN program off

• Thread starter Thread starter expeditionist
  • Start date Start date
E

expeditionist

Hi

I spent all day (literally) troubleshooting this and drew a blank.

Basically, my first time using Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Store after installing the Win10 Creators Update, I was connected to Windscribe VPN program (including disabling IPV6 and restarting first).

Now Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Store won’t connect to the Internet (get DNS?) when Windscribe VPN is off. And that’s even when their firewall/kill switch is off and the rest, see below.

All other program connections/browsers work fine with the VPN off. And everything works fine with the VPN connected.

Unfortunately, I have no working system restore points or backups!

Edge says: Hmmm... cannot reach this page …….. Details There was a temporary DNS error. Try refreshing the page. Error Code: INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND

Microsoft Store says: Check your connection Microsoft Store needs to be online. It looks like you’re not.

I have tried with restarts all steps below:

• Re-enabling IPV6
  • Changing and flushing DNS on all adapters to OpenDNS and Google DNS
  • Killing the dnscache service
  • Reinstalling Windscribe
  • Resetting tcp/ip completely
  • Deleting the network adapters in device manager
  • The windows troubleshooters for networking and windows store
  • Changing windows proxy settings
  • Changing network to public/private
  • Resetting Edge
  • Reinstalling Edge in Powershell
  • Testing will all security exited
  • Looking for rules in Windows firewall
  • Testing in clean boot state
  • Testing in safe mode
  • Gggggrrrrrrr……..!

I didn’t uninstall Windscribe entirely yet because I have a 60GBpcm lifetime license off a giveaway and don’t wish to lose it.

Baffled that only Microsoft Edge and Microsoft Store are affected. Some similar posts on web with other VPNs. It’s almost like the VPN IP address got binded somehow?

I guess it is a bug then? Anyone know the fix please or can replicate?

I’ve asked Windscribe Support and they didn’t know. They say ‘Microsoft has their own weird security implemented so using a VPN can interfere with the connection to Microsoft apps and services for some reason.’

Continue reading...

Back