Windows 10 Microsoft have helped me to create a bootable USB drive to reinstall Windows, I need help with sorting or reformatting the SSD.

• Thread starter Thread starter Cazzycool
  • Start date Start date
C

Cazzycool

My desktop was upgraded by a tech repair guy, he installed an SSD and Windows 10 Professional last year (it's the first time I've paid someone to fix it, normally do it myself or my son will fix it), having found one of my drives was faulty. I continued to get the odd blue screen, and then a blown fuse, then just the blue repair screen but couldn't repair.
Then trying again I had no power, the PSU seemed to have gone, I fitted it at least 5 years before. So I've fitted a new PSU but still have blue screens. My tech guy was helping by messenger, he suggested I disconnect the other two drives and reboot. Resulted in Windows start up screen then a grey screen with nothing. Tech guy suggested a reformat of the SSD and clean reinstall, and asked if I want to book it in with him.
I'm bound to lose some data, and all programs of course, but most of my data is saved to one of the other drives.
Microsoft have been great and remotely created a boot USB on a borrowed laptop. They suggested that I should do a custom install rather than clean install (I previously had the reset PC option but didn't try that in the light of my Tech Guy's recommendation).
with all three drives connected (all to separate SATA cables plus motherboard cables), I booted from the USB media, accepted agreement, picked version, then I get a list of partitions, all of which say Windows can't be installed on them.

I'm about to try again and connect with an Advocate again but I hoped someone could advise if:

1, I should just book it in and pay the tech guy to sort it,

2, should disconnect the two drives and try the custom install with only the SSD connected first,

3, should try and find quick format in settings and do that as well or instead of 2 (I don't know if it's even possible). I've read that anything other than quick format shortens the life of the SSD.

Thank you in advance.

Continue reading...

Back