Windows 10 Microsoft HEIF/HEVC Support

• Thread starter Thread starter Dyne790
  • Start date Start date
D

Dyne790

I recently purchased a new camera that is capable of recording in HEIF. Unfortunately, my computer, both in the photos app and Adobe apps, are unable to process these images.

After some research I found out that Microsoft requires you to download a couple of extensions in order to view this file type. However, it seems that the HEIF extension found here (Get HEIF Image Extensions - Microsoft Store) does not properly install. When I view the app under 'Apps and Features', it appears but does not seem to have any data in it and I am unable to uninstall it.

The only solution was to use powershell and force it to uninstall, but trying to install again after updating my computer as much as I could, I still had no luck viewing these images and the "installation" of the HEIF extension seems to still be broken.

After searching the internet, it seems a lot of people are having similar issues while some people claim they are not having any problems.

Does anyone know of a current solution that could help address this problem?

It would be nice to see what the current state of HEIF/HEVC is on Windows because it would be nice for this to me addressed in a Windows Update so that a more native solution could be found.

Continue reading...

Back