Windows 10 Microsoft Sculpt keyboard stopped working - gone "mad"

• Thread starter Thread starter G1980UZ
  • Start date Start date
G

G1980UZ

My Sculpt keyboard suddenly stopped working today. Mouse and number pad that are part of same bundle still work fine.

First I noticed is that the keyboard went 'mad' after a few hours of working fine as usual in the morning. It kept scrolling quickly from button to button on the screen, as if someone kept pushing the Tab key. I realised after a while that I can stop the madness by pressing Scroll Lock, but then it only works for 2 minutes or so, before it stops reacting (probably disconnects although device manager tells me it is working without problems).

I tried:

changing the batteries.

restarting (many times)

checking that I have no updates pending

updating the driver

tried keyboard and mouse on a different computer

The problem is always the same: When I restart the computer, the keyboard does not come on and I can only get it to connect by taking out the batteries and putting them back in again. Keyboard comes on and starts 'madly scrolling'. I stop it with Scroll Lock. It works for 2-5 minutes, then stops responding until I restart it again by taking the batteries out (cue the mad scrolling).

I tried typing in Word whilst the mad scrolling went on and it does insert multiple Tabs into the document; however, there seems to be nothing wrong with the Tab key itself. No blockage or anything.

It must be the keyboard malfunctioning, since the problem is the same on a different computer?

My regular computer is Windows 10 64 bit. In order to try on a different computer, I had to dig out an old Windows 7 (which is up to date to the point where support was discontinued).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

G

Continue reading...

Back