Windows 10 Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter starts connecting but does not complete.

• Thread starter Thread starter FrankHazel
  • Start date Start date
F

FrankHazel

I had this problem before and it came back this week. Not sure if it has anything to do with the out-of-band patches.

Some colleagues have it on some Adapters, not on others. I used to have it when an Adapter changed name.

At the office we have some 6 Wireless Display Adapters. They have a name corresponding to the room they are in. (so first name change: from factory default to room name, sometimes the room changes name so that is another name change).

At the moment all adapters work fine from my Windows 10 mobile.

From Windows 10 laptop the issue is typically that the laptop says it is connecting and on the screen (with the Display Adapter) also a message is shown that the laptop is connecting, giving the correct laptop name.

If the "Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter" app is started on the laptop, it will show a connection and be able to query the Adapter.

Then one will give up (= return to state before connection), while the other will still show "connecting". I could not find a rule when the PC gives up first and when the Adapter is first.

If the app is running, it will now show a disconnected status.

Laptop is fully patched, Adapters are all running latest firmware.

I tried removing the Adapters from the "Device Manager" on the laptop: they are specified by their name. They have to be removed multiple times: "audio inputs and outputs", "miracast display devices", "software devices", maybe "monitor".

Afterwards I checked the Registry and still could find a lot of references to them: in Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render ; Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\DeviceClasses (3 subfolders deep under one of the keys) ; Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Enum\SWD\MMDEVAPI ; etc.

That means: the chance for conflicting information is high (e.g. after an OS update or a device rename). Not all keys can be erased (and this is not something that users should have to do).

Any help or suggestion is welcome.

Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / PC Projection & Continuum

Continue reading...

Back