Windows 10 Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2

• Thread starter Thread starter Joseph Seyler
  • Start date Start date
J

Joseph Seyler

Hello,

I have 2 DC's -1-2003 and second one that was 2016.

The secondary domain controller (Windows server 2016) went belly up and I was tasked with building a new one. What I noticed was the System admin who had built it before put it on a server that was over kill. Thus, I re-purposed that server for other things, and began with a fresh 2012r2 build on an entirely different machine. (Mainly because he didn't have any backups taken anyway).

I decided this would be a great opportunity to upgrade and get off of 2003 and spring board to 2016 or 2019. The 2003 server is a AC/DC, DNS and DHCP server. I am using 2012r2 as a stepping stone to get up to the 2016 or 2019 edition, so essentially I will be doing this exercise 2 more times.

Anyway.. I began by following the below article. How to Migrate Active Directory Server 2003 to Active Directory Server 2016 Step by Step. - wintips.org - Windows Tips & How-tos

Replication (ADDC/DNS) between the 2 servers seems good, and I got all the way to switching the 5 FSMO roles, which worked smoothly. My issue is this: I wanted to test before going onto the part about demoting the 2003 server, so I unplugged the network cable. I was able to login to my machine still (on the domain) but doing something as simple as sending a skype message, checking email, getting out to the web stopped working. I plug the 2003 server network cable back in, everything works again.

I am at my wits-end as I can not even think about demoting the 2003 server until I 100% know that the those issues are resolved. Please help!

Continue reading...

Back