Windows XP Modifying the registry to change Windows Visual FX settings to best performance via a batch...

• Thread starter Thread starter RatMonkey
  • Start date Start date
R

RatMonkey

Hi,
I've been trying to create a batch file to modify the Windows Visual FX setting from whatever it's on to 'Best for Performance'. I need to run the change remotely to many many machines, and the change needs to be for the Current User which is a restricted account with no access to task manager or anything other that the till application that starts when its logged on.
So far I my batch does the following (registry settings found via a Package Builder):
rem Update registry keys
REG ADD HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ /v DragFullWindows /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f
REG ADD HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ /v FontSmoothing /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f
REG ADD HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\ /v UserPreferencesMask /t REG_BINARY /d 90120180 /f

REG ADD HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\WindowMetrics\ /v MinAnimate /t REG_SZ /d 0 /f

REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ /v ShellState /t REG_BINARY /d 2400000033880000000000000000000000000000010000000D0000000000000000000000 /f

REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ /v ListviewAlphaSelect /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ /v ListviewShadow /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ /v ListviewWatermark /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ /v TaskbarAnimations /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\ /v WebView /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

REG ADD HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VisualEffects\ /v VisualFXSetting /t REG_DWORD /d 2 /f

******************************************************************************************************************
Now, the above DOES change all the visual effects GUI settings (i.e. when you check in My Computer/Properties/Advanced/Performance-Settings) Adjust for best performance is selected and there are no ticks in any of the boxes etc. as expected, however the changes are not actually applied to the system (Start Menu still fades in and out etc.)
I tried setting an forced logoff at the end of my batch via SHUTDOWN.EXE, still not applied settings - tried a reboot, still not accepting the changes! How do I make it realise the settings have changed?!
To summarise, the registry change applies the setting to the GUI, but it does not actually apply the change.
How do you apply the change without doing it through the GUI?
I hope someone can help!
The machine is running Microsoft Windows XP Pro [Version 5.1.2600]. I don't have access to set the Group Policies either...
Thanks,
Dan.

Continue reading...