Windows 10 More than 6 GB of RAM of 16 GB missing

• Thread starter Thread starter AB__
  • Start date Start date
A

AB__

I have a fast W10 64bit 16GB RAM pc.

Task Manager shows me around 900 MB used for Me as as user, no other user accounts on the pc, the list I can see also adds up to around that, "Everything" taking around 470 MB, Antimalware 140 MB, Windows Explorer 42 MB, etc., it quickly goes down to processes not using more than 5 MB, than 1 MB, and the list is not endless, I can clearly see (without adding one-by-one) that the about 870 MB my user account takes, according to the Task Manager, are more or less correct, certainly not above 1 GB, from 16.

According to the Task Manager, just 45 % of memory is free though:

182 Processes, 2680 Thread, 70,000 Handlers, CPU 1 %.

Available memory 7.3 GB of 15.9 GB = 45 %, this remains stable, before I start any other program.

In use (compressed) 6,9 GB (0 MB)

Committed 7.7 GB of 18.3 GB (my graphics card also has 2 GB, so this might explain the difference between 16 and 18.3).

Pages pool 184 MB

Non-pages pool 176 MB.

So does W10 64 bit really need, above the user account's less than 1 GB, another almost 7 GB, so that from my 16 GB, just 7.7 GB remain usable for my software (except for "Everything"'s 470 MB)?

I had installed, and de-installed (!), 2 RAM-Disks some weeks ago, and I don't see any residuals from them, but could them be the culprits? Wouldn't that be shown in the above numbers?

Is Windows really that bad, or might I have non-Windows problems on my pc?

Continue reading...