Windows 10 Mouse randomly clicks all by itself

• Thread starter Thread starter jjacallen
  • Start date Start date
J

jjacallen

I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo T460s laptop. The laptop has recently developed this strange problem with the mouse. It's very similar to the problem described in this ticket:

The issue reproduces no matter what mouse I use:
  • Logitech bluetooth mouse
  • Logitech wireless USB dongle mouse
  • Microsoft Comfort wired USB mouse
  • The Machine's touchpad
Steps I've taken to troubleshoot the issue:

• I disabled the touchpad
  • I uninstalled Logitech software which was recommended by Logitech for the bluetooth mouse
  • I updated the driver for the touchpad (it was already up to date)
  • I tried a clean boot (according to the MS support instructions)
  • Bought a new mouse
  • Changed touchpad sensitivity to "low"
  • Uninstalled the driver for the touchpad (synaptics pointing device) - weirdly, when I restarted there was a new device listed in the device manager called "PS/2 compatible mouse" and the touchpad now works again, and I can no longer find the setting to disable it. So, that's strange. But apparently it's now using a Microsoft driver, which was the next thing to try - installing MS generic driver...

I'll try to describe the behavior a little better than the other ticket:

The cursor randomly left-clicks and holds. If I move the mouse when this happens, it drags whatever the cursor was on or it selects text, exactly as if I were holding the left mouse button. It randomly releases, too. Sometimes, it lasts only for a quick second, but sometimes it really gets stuck. When it is stuck, right-clicking usually releases it so I can continue working. Left-clicking doesn't help, I can left-click repeatedly and it doesn't release, when I use the touchpad buttons or the USB mouse buttons. Keyboard actions also don't have any effect on the behavior, as far as I can tell.

Continue reading...