Windows 10 Moving Storage Space to new PC - media is write protected?

• Thread starter Thread starter B_Wilks
  • Start date Start date
B

B_Wilks

Hello! Here's my scenario: I'm moving a roughly 16TB storage space to a new PC running Windows 10 Pro. The old PC also ran Windows 10 Pro, and had a single admin user. The new PC also has a single admin user.

When I try to access the storage space in Explorer, it shows a zero-byte drive. When I access it in the Manage Storage Spaces app, it shows the drives as correctly full (~12TB used) and displays the drives that are part of the array.

I think I get what's happening - the drives were owned by the admin user on the previous PC, and need ownership taken by the admin user on the new PC. Problem is, I can't see a way to change that. When I Get-StoragePool in Powershell it shows the following:

FriendlyName OperationalStatus HealthStatus IsPrimordial IsReadOnly Size AllocatedSize
------------ ----------------- ------------ ------------ ---------- ---- -------------
Primordial OK Healthy True False 16.55 TB 16.37 TB
Storage pool OK Healthy False False 16.37 TB 12.01 TB

...but when I try to take ownership of the drive through Explorer via Properties>Security>Advanced>Change (beside Owner) I get the following error:

"An error has occurred while applying security information to:

[filename]

The media is write-protected."

I read that in Win12 Server the array loads in a "safe state" (read-only?) and that it can be opened for writes via Server Manager, but I obviously don't have that option in Windows 10. The array is read-write based on the Get-StoragePool command, right? What have I missed here?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide!

Continue reading...

Back