Windows 10 Moving Windows Store folders to a new hard drive

• Thread starter Thread starter KB_Th
  • Start date Start date
K

KB_Th

I have a real issue with trying to move data from one external hard drive to another. Here is the issue:

My Seagate 4TB drive is starting to fail. It will not safely dismount, and fails diagnostics. It is still readable and writable. Unfortunately, since the original backup file copies were from OSX and an old MBP, it is formatted with ExFAT, and that seems to be the biggest issue.

The new drive is a WD 4TB, formatted for NTFS.

Cloning the drive with Macrium Reflect fails with an access denied error.

Copying the files fails with a Your organization does not allow you to copy this file error.

Trying to access the folders also throws an access error, and I cannot change the owner due to the ExFAT format. The owner is unknown.

I can find no viable solution online as it seems most assume an NTFS format of the drive you are copying from.

I have purchased games and in-game products, and once before when I had to delete a game due to it glitching and failing to load, I lost the bought products, so I need to copy these folders to the new drive.

Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Also, this is a home computer. I am the sole user and the admin, so why is ANYTHING on the computer looking for 'Your organization' or denying me access? It is MY computer, and MY files, and that should be the end of discussion!

Just as an aside, as a person coming from years of Linux and OSX use, Windows seems to be VERY frustrating is how difficult and slow certain operations are! I am really considering a return to Linux if I can get it running on this box as the only real usecase I see for Windows is to run certain games.

Machine:

Lenovo Legion - AMD 4800H, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD

NAS for home network: 4TB WD MyCloud

Any information or suggestions would be most appreciated.

KB

Continue reading...

Back