Windows 10 MS Family Safety - What are *Known* Issues that will Break its Use? Virtual Desktops?

• Thread starter Thread starter ScudderB
  • Start date Start date
S

ScudderB

Hi...

Greatly appreciate anyone's contribution, help and insight with this post. Perhaps we can get some Advisors and MS comments as well as our own comments to help each other.

Little background/discussion and then 2 questions below....

As I presume many or most of you are in this current COVID/lockdown/kids-"learning"-at home environment, I am grateful for the opportunity my children have provided by giving me a reason to research, study and learn about Windows 10 parental and family safety controls :-) I like the features and options with Microsoft Family Safety where one can control all screen time as a whole for the day, or dial it down to controlling specific websites and apps, on specific days, for a special amount of time. I feel I understand the features well and have a good working knowledge and ability to adjust settings the way I want them. Not only theoretically and on paper do Microsoft Family Safety controls look like a good idea, they actually work...until they don't.

So I set the controls that I want for my son's computer (age 13, smart, computer savvy by the way...). I even test them out with my laptop and the settings open along side of his computer at the beginning of his day. I test the time of day shut-off, I test the block app feature. I test the request for more feature. I launch blocked apps, I attempt blocked sites...all parental controls working perfectly. He starts his day, I start mine. I come back to check on him...Discord (blocked) is up and running, new playlist being selected on Spotify (blocked), Chrome browser open (app blocked) with Youtube website playing videos (website blocked). None of the settings are working.

In my latest assessment of the circumstances, I believe that there is possible a problem with using Virtual Desktops (I believe the key combination is Control Key-Windows Key-Arrow) that may be "breaking" the parental controls. I have not gotten to field test this theory (still waiting for my son to finish the *3* assignments in the past 2 days that he hasn't handed in to school due to...lemme guess now....concentrating on Discord and playlists and youtube instead of doing your work?? It appears that with a restart, parental controls generally come back up working again....that is, until it doesn't again.

FIRST QUESTION: anyone have similar experience or find that using virtual desktops somehow breaks parental controls??

SECOND QUESTION: what are known hacks/circumstances where parental controls break? I know there are individual threads with specific problems (perhaps similar to my virtual desktop inquiry above), however, I am seeking to be informed and be on the lookout for known issues that we may encounter or that my son may find digging around on his own that will cause problems.

Thanks to everyone who reads and posts!!

Scott

Continue reading...

Back